Monday, August 30, 2010

Rock en Seine 2010

I wanted to go to the Rock en Seine festival yesterday, but the tickets were all sold out. So I decided to take my chances and just got to the festival in an attempt to buy one from a scalper. They were selling them for 100 Euro. I said "no way" to that and was heading back to the train. Then i decided i would make a sign, which stated, "1 ticked wanted. merci! :)" immedietly after holding up the sign a nice couple and a scalper came up to me asking how much i would pay. i said 50. they said no, the scalper said 90. i said no. then i said 60 was my best offer. the scalper walked away wanting nothing to do with my meager euros. the couple sold me their ticket for 60 but only because i was a foreigner. hah!

so i head into the festival. oh there were so many people there. i am not a fan of large festivals i have decided. waiting in line forever to use a bathroom that was literally a hole in a floor above the bank of the siene. no personal space at all while watching bands. so much to dislike! But when the bands play, it is so magical. So many people singing and dancing. it makes up for all the other crap that comes with a festival.

Yesterday I saw The Eels, who played a pretty unique set.
Beirut, who were absolutely amazing!

The Ting Tings, who were surprisingly really good.


Arcade Fire. oh arcade fire. incredible! despite the crowds and waiting forever to pee on the banks of the seine and having a terrible sinus headache. arcade fire made up for it!
it started to rain so they played "wake up" without their electric instruments. everyone was singing and dancing in the rain. what a moment! instruments

then i tried to take the metro back home with all 80,000 people who were at the festival. i ended up meeting a girl from romania, who was impressed with my calm and optimistic attitude about finding the train. riding the train was a hellish experience though. way way way too many people. i have never been so cramped in my life.

all in all a once in a life time experience. hooray! but i guess all experiences are once in a lifetime..

1 comment: